Sunday, March 20, 2011

Windows, Work, & Negative Space

     Friday after work Amber and I started on what may be the last part of the house that needs to be torn out.  By eight or so in the evening all the windows were out and the frames were prepped and ready to go.  Since the old frames could be reused on the second floor it drastically reduced the amount of time needed to put in the new ones.  Doug manned the ladder and kept the windows from falling outwards while they were screwed in place from the inside.
     Once the windows were in we started putting in the roof vents.  It isn't particularly showy though it needed to be finished and the weather was perfect for it.  So the remainder of the morning was spent on the roof cutting out new vent holes, repairing areas where old ones were, and taking down the chimney stack.  At about this point Doug decided to test the water pressure in the lines, and discovered that there were a few places where the ends weren't capped.  At least it was relatively warm for the shower though.
    We ended up making a little progress on Sunday, but everyone was pretty worn out, it was cold, and at about four the hail started.  Today though is threatening to be a beautiful spring day, so I think the day off will come later this week and I will work at finishing up some exterior brick repairs tonight. 

First window out

Pulling out the old windows

Rotting trim coming out as well

Getting out the bottom window

The structure without windows

A cyclops for a house

Filling in the empty sapces

Cyclops to biclops

Remains of the old chimney stack

Only the carbon shows where the old stack was

looking out some great new windows

repairing the exterior

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Men & Women at work

 Over the past week there have been any number of substantial changes to the project.  On paper they sound more or less like the past few posts...we put in drywall and put up walls, ceilings... etc.  Which is indeed what we did, but things are flying now and the past week has garnered a great deal of progress.  Amber has been a good sport shimming out walls and stuffing insulation into all the cracks around the windows and doors.  Doug has shown up here and there as well to help put up the ceilings in a few of the rooms.  Beyond that, a lot of wall went up in the past week and even an exterior door transformed into an interior wall.  I had a few exciting moments, like falling off a ladder for instance or having a pile of lumber fall on your hand.  Lots of fun but wouldn't recommend either for it for most people.  We keep on keeping on though and here is the proof:

Putting the last piece of ceiling up in the Dining room
Damn fine ceiling
Finished up most of the Laundry Room though we have to reroute some of the internals
Still finishing the SOB Dining room ceiling
BAM used to be the Den's Doorway now its on the way to being a Kitchen pantry
The Sheathed Ex-Den Door and also in the foreground is the pile of wood that decided to fall and take a sizable chunk out of my hand (picture post fall)
Our new bathroom faucets have arrived!

Uninterested in work Chess is living(sleeping) the dream

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ceilings and Walls

     It was another week of successful work.  One of the most notable things things though was the passing of the the mechanical inspection for rough in walls.  I know it sounds far fetched and I don't really believe it myself but the proof is a bright yellow sticker on my new window (see below).  With that being said we can now finish drywalling all the interior spaces and ceilings.
     Drywalling those spaces though requires the major fixtures of the walls to be in place aka doors and windows.  So the last two dinosaur doors on the first floor ended up getting torn out and replaced with 15 lite single French doors.  Other than that materials purchased keep coming in the corrected size windows should arrive tomorrow, as wel as the toilets and hopefully the faucets.  I can say though it is a lot easier and more fun to buy the fixtures than pound nails in above ones head.  Amber could probably attest to that since she spent the greater part of her weekend putting up nailers for the ceiling drywall.  With one fell swoop she joined the club and now every person who has worked on the house in some capacity has smashed the hell out of their thumb while nailing things.  Beyond that it was a pretty mundane weekend of cutting drywall and putting it in place.

Checkers and Chess Investigating the Bolder look

The sinks have arrived

Half wall in the laundry room ready for stained glass

Looking down on the stairs

The Drywall nailers Amber put up

Time to close all the walls and not just the exterior

Yet more drywall nailers

Truly part of the crew now with a hammer smashed thumb

Master bedroom pretty much done

Cutting out the old door frame

Sneak peak of the new door

A better view of the new door